9.23.2024

The Handmaiden's Blood ~ Now Available

 AVAILABLE NOW!

The Handmaid's Blood: The Goose Girl Retold 
Once Upon a Twisted Time
By Kendra E. Ardnek

This is a short story based on The Goose Girl. But there is a twist.
The Princess has her handmaid bound by blood to do her will. There is one wee problem, the princess is bound by blood to the queen.

And what an evil queen she is. She plans to use her daughter to cause an international incident and hopefully bring down a kingdom. Yes, that kind of evil. The kind you want to run and hide from. Except for the whole "bound to do her-will" thing going on, which prevents running and hiding.

Though short, this is an intriguing and ingenious retelling that satisfies the key elements of the story but presents them in an original story. 

I was provided an advanced copy of this book with no expectations but to provide my honest opinion. All thoughts expressed are my own.

About the Book:
Three drops of blood bind her to the princess's will.

The Goose Girl retold from the perspective of her servant.

Book Fun Fact:

This was actually my third choice for which Goose Girl retelling I would release as part of the Lost Kerchiefs, but the other two retellings I had planned each depended on me finishing the book ahead of them in the series. But, you can watch out for a total of three other Goose Girl retellings from me in the near future, including:

Goose Chase (A Twist of Adventure #8): Another servant-as-the-heroine, but in this one, the twist is that when she lost the handkerchief, the princess swaps bodies with an actual goose, so the servant has to pose as a princess until they can figure out how to fix this curse. This one came really close to being part of this set, and is partially written, but since I didn't release Beanstalk Trials as planned, I had to hold off on this one.

Goose Boy (Ever After Maneuver #3): I promise I'm not copying Tricia, but Cinderella-12DP-Goose Girl seems to be a story order that just works. This isn't a genderswap, as the title implies, but it does shake up the story and make Curdkin the hero. Won't say much more about it, other than the fact that Anice is the princess but not the main character. She has the next book after. 

Sing a Quest of Golden Geese (Bookania #9): This is the book I *really* wanted to release as part of the Kerchiefs, but I just didn't have the brain space to write Bookania #8. I'm really excited about this one, though, as it's one of the crazy mashups, including The Goose Girl, Rumpelstiltskin, The Golden Goose, and the Pied Piper. There may or may not be a baby dragon, and this book is also technically a sequel to The Dancing Princess (A Twist of Adventure #5). because people begged so hard to see more of that world. 

I did also consider writing "The Princess and the Goose Girl" which is a Princess and the Pauper mashup I have rolling around in the back of my head, but I'm not *quite* ready to take the plunge into that series yet. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.
~ Blooming with Books