12.03.2020

Burden of Proof ~ Review

Burden of Proof
By Davis Bunn

Ethan's life has been a course of missed chances. Now that he has the chance to look back upon it he has regrets, regrets that have just added one upon the other. His biggest regret, his brother's murder, and the anger between them that was never resolved before Adrian was stolen out of his life forever. Now Ethan has been given a chance to undo the past, but there is a catch. Saving the past for his brother will cost Ethan his future.

Burden of Proof has an intriguing premise one that most people would most likely be at least tempted by. Do you have regrets? Is there one incident in the past that you would undo if you could? If you could stop a loved one from making a choice that would destroy their life would you? And how would this change affect the world? I have to say I really enjoy books that make one think about what if. What if I could change the decision I made that put me on a specific life path. Would I seize the opportunity or would I rather live with the regrets I know? 

I will say the first couple chapters, to me, seemed to drag as we are introduced to Ethan in his "now" life, which is for the most part is a sad reflection on a life that never reached its full potential. This reflection sets us up for the choice Ethan's sister-in-law offers him - give up his future for the chance to stop Adrian's murder. He just needs to remember as he displaces his younger self. 

The majority of this book takes place in Florida, so I really liked taking a trip back to Jacksonville, a place that I was familiar with as a kid as I lived near there. Occasionally we took a trip into the big city and this literary visit reminded me of memories that included my grandparents and my dad. But it was fun reading a book in which I was actually familiar with the locale.

Overall I really enjoyed this book especially after Ethan made his transit to the past. It was interesting to see how the characters changed due to the change that Ethan's new perspective had on how he was living. That is the one thing I like with the various works that Davis Bunn puts forth one never feels as if it is all cookie-cutter cutouts that have been redecorated but rather a whole new recipe that is never to be repeated and therefore not to be missed when the opportunity to sample it is presented. Don't miss out on this newest literary delight that has a twist of the speculative thrown into a mystery.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book with no expectations but that I provide my honest opinion. All thoughts expressed are my own.


About the Book:

Just weeks before his twenty-first birthday, Ethan missed the chance to save his brother's life when he was murdered on the steps of the courthouse in Jacksonville, Florida. Ever since that fateful day, Ethan has sensed a deep disconnect between the man he should have been and the one he has become. His days play out a beat too slow, his mind replaying the scene of his failure again and again.

But when his brother's widow appears, asking for his help in uncovering what was really behind his brother's death, Ethan is stunned to hear that she and her late husband were involved in a much larger case than he knew--one that threatens the global power structure. As Ethan joins the search for answers, he will enter into his own past--and discover a means of redeeming his future.

Bestselling and award-winning author Davis Bunn invites you into a world of intrigue as a man held captive by his failure learns how to move forward with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.
~ Blooming with Books